An illustrated lecture with author Ben Tarnoff.
Tarnoff's latest book focuses on Mark Twain's early years as a struggling writer in Civil War-era San Francisco and on the countercultural community he discovered there. It was a haven for weirdos, gamblers, crooks and draft dodgers, but later became a literary laboratory for new kinds of writing, eventually influencing several of the directions American literature went during the decades that followed.
A book sale and signing will follow the program.
Summer Read SF 2014: May 31-August 10
Connect to your library, your imagination, and San Francisco.
- Kill the Ampaya!
- Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 6:30 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Author Mariko Tamaki Discusses This One Summer and More!
- Saturday, May 6, 2017, 4:00 pmMain Library, Children's Center
- Tranquil Resonance--the Story of the Guqin
- Saturday, May 20, 2017, 10:30 amChinatown, Chinatown Meeting Room