Celebrating Our Past/Creating Our Future exhibit showcases archival collections with Lesbian Literary Love looking at relationships between lesbian authors, publishers, booksellers and readers, How We See Ourselves with alternative gender expression and vintage physique photographs and drawings, and Frameline International LGBT Film Festival Archive Project, and highlights on the LGBTQIA community, activism and politics.
Exhibitions April 16 through August 7
- Main Library
- Hormel at 20, LGBTQIA Center 3rd Floor,
- Out at the Library, Skylight Gallery Bridge 6th floor,
- Celebrating The Past/Creating The Future, Jewett Gallery lower level: This exhibit celebrates Lesbian Literary Love, How We See Ourselves: Visual Self-representation, Frameline International LGBT Film Festival Archive Project, and highlights on the LGBTQIA community, activism and politics.
- Eureka Valley Library
- Queer & Quirky: OBJECTifying Ourselves, artifacts demonstrating the relationship of queer culture to American culture
April 23: Teens and Queens. Opening program in the Koret Auditorium, 2:00pm. The Rising Rhythm Project will honor voguing legendaries in a fabulous and fierce choreography. Other acts will follow.
May 17: Lambda Literary Awards Finalists Reading. Our annual event featuring the year’s finest in LGBTQIA writing and poetry. Main Library, Latino Hispanic Community Room, 6:00.
June 2: Twenty-Five Years of Vampire Life: The Gilda Stories Reissued. When Gilda escaped from slavery in 1850 she didn't expect to live to see the 21st century. Jewelle Gomez will read from this cult classic and catch you up on what Gilda's been up to. 6:00 PM in the James C. Hormel LGBTQIA Center, 6:00.
June 7: From Sleaze to Classics. An intergenerational panel featuring Ann Bannon (Beebo Brinker series), award-winning author Michelle Tea, and RADAR Artistic Director and writer Juliana Delgado Lopera. Main Library, Koret Auditorium, 6:00.
June 8: RADAR SuperStars Program: featuring La Pocha Nostra; La Chica Boom; Chinaka Hodge and Aya de Leon. Main Library, Koret Auditorium, 6:00.
See Queerest.Library.Ever. sfpl.org/hormelat20 for related online exhibits, archives, and resources.
20th Anniversary Main Library 1996-2016
- Chuck Forester Author Reading
- Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, LGBTQIA Center
- A Litany For Survival:
- Saturday, May 13, 2017, 2:00 pmMain Library, Latino/Hispanic Rms A & B
- Everywhere Home
- Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 6:00 pmMain Library, LGBTQIA Center
*Funded by Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.