Industry Overviews & Surveys
- Market Share Reporter. Gale Research Inc. Annual compilation of market share data on U.S. companies, products & services.
- Plunkett’s Almanacs
- S&P Capital IQ Industry Surveys. Standard & Poors Inc. Summaries for broad industry categories and detailed business segments. Includes forecasts, sales data, industry ratios; lists leading companies.
- U.S. Industry & Trade Collection
- Value Line Investment Survey. Value Line Inc. Concise summary for each major industry group. Provides product outlook and 5 year financial statistics.
- Almanac of Business and Industrial Financial Ratios. Leo Troy.
- RMA Annual Statement Studies. RMA, Robert Morris Associates
- Industry Norms & Key Business Ratios. Dun & Bradstreet
- IRS Corporate Financial Ratios. Schonfeld and Associates, Inc.
- Proquest Statistical Abstract of the United States. Vast compendium of government and privately compiled statistics. Valuable for locating agencies & associations that publish industry data.
- Encyclopedia of Business Information Sources. Gale Research Inc. Associations, professional societies, and publications for numerous businesses & services.
- National Trade & Professional Associations of the U.S. Columbia Books. Good addition or alternative to the Encyclopedia of Associations.
- Small Business Sourcebook. Gale Research. Annual.
Trade Periodicals -- Special Issues
A selection of special issues of trade magazines can be found in the U.S. Industry & Trade Collection. This includes annual buying guide issues, annual industry survey issues, and more. Ask the librarian staff at the Business, Science & Technology Center to help you find such issues.
Trade Periodicals -- Online Resources
- Business Insights: Global. Search under Industry for an overview on a particular industry, or for subject subdivisions such as economic aspects, forecasts, market share, or statistics. Investment analysts' reports on an individual company will also provide valuable industry information.
- Business Source Complete (EBSCO) Look for industry subheadings such as economic aspects, forecasting, or statistics.
- Mergent Intellect
- Value Line
- BizStats.com Especially good for small businesses.
- Economic Census. U.S. Census Bureau