The Merola Opera Program and the San Francisco Public Library Main Branch are teaming up to show you some of the best operas captured on film! Merola Goes to the Movies showcases classic operas and performances, featuring some of the world’s greatest opera stars. Each film is preceded by a talk by one of our Merola experts, who will give you an insider’s look at the opera and interesting facts about the making of the film.
All screenings start at 1 PM in the Koret Auditorium.
Sunday, September 15th
Starring: Teresa Stratas, Placido Domingo
Directed by Franco Zeffirelli
Rated G; 112 minutes; 1982
Director Franco Zeffirelli triumphantly captures La Traviata for the screen in this visually stunning, musically thrilling and intensely dramatic marriage of cinema and grand opera. La Traviata opulently portrays the tragic affair of the consumptive courtesan Violetta and her lover Alfredo. In Italian with English subtitles.
(Photo credit: David Wakely)
- Dances for Camera
- Sábado 29 de Abril de 2017, 2:30 pmBiblioteca Central, Auditorio Koret
- Musical Outdoor Storytime
- Martes 2 de Mayo de 2017, 10:30 am
- Free karaoke evening at Ingleside Library!
- Viernes 5 de Mayo de 2017, 3:30 pmIngleside, Ingleside: Sala de Reuniones