The North Beach Branch Library was originally located at the site of the Chinatown Branch. The branch was renamed in 1958 and a new North Beach Branch was erected at 2000 Mason Street next to Joe DiMaggio Playground. The new North Beach Branch located at 850 Columbus Avenue opened on May 10, 2014. It was undertaken by the firm of Leddy Maytum Stacy Architects. Funding was secured from voter approved Proposition D in November 2007.