The new Ortega Branch opened September 10, 2011. See the Reopening Day Video.
The new Ortega Branch building is on the same site as the original, but closer to Ortega Street. The new branch is one story high and approximately 9,000 square feet. It features a community room for library programs such as story time and after school homework help, with after hours access for community meetings, views of the ocean, enclosed study room, expanded children's area and space to accommodate school visits, more computers, public art and green building (LEED Gold). The original Ortega Branch was built in 1956 and designed by architects Appleton & Wolfard. Set back in a courtyard, next to A.P. Giannini Middle School, the West Sunset Playground clubhouse adjoins the library. Square footage of the library was 4.805 square feet and was built at the cost of $144,854.32. The building opened to the public in August 20, 1956. Ortega Branch Library is the 24th San Francisco Public Library branch. In the summer of 2009, the original branch was demolished to make room for the new building. During construction, partial library services were provided in a temporary site adjacent to the Recreation Center.