How can the Library help me be counted in the 2020 Census?
- To be counted in the Census, go to www.2020census.gov.
- You can go online using computers at SF Public Library locations citywide.
- You can attend a Census event at the library to learn more about the Census.
Why is it important to be counted in the 2020 Census?
The Census count is used to decide:
- Political representation: Census numbers are used for “apportionment,” i.e. determining how many congressional seats each state gets. If we are undercounted, California could lose a seat in Congress.
- Federal funding. Census numbers are used to allot funding to states for housing, childcare, transportation and much more
2020 Census Timeline
- March: Households receive mailings about how to take the Census.
- April 1st: Census Day
- Late April through June: Census takers visit non-responder residences
- December: Apportionment counts sent to President
- January 2021: First results published